Bold Moves Weekly 5/21-5/28: Letting Twitter Write Movies

Welcome to Bold Moves Weekly, a segment where I go over what I view as the boldest move of the week. As always it’s important to note; these moves are bold as hell. They may not be good moves, they may not be intelligent, self-preservative moves, but they are certainly bold.

THE MOVE:

Sorry it’s been a few weeks since the last edition of Bold Moves Weekly. Its not that bold moves haven’t been made (what in god’s name is a fidget spinner?), it’s just that I’ve been very busy. That being said, this week’s bold move could have lots of repercussions for future moves, and is thus monumental enough for me to get back in the game, so to speak. This week we’re going to talk about how Netflix okayed the creation of a movie spawned entirely off of tweets.

This move is exciting for me in particular because it’s not like the other bold moves, where one person does something particularly aggressive or decisive. No, this week Netflix perpetrated the bold move, which means a whole corporation, where lots of people are involved in decision making, decided to get bold. The movie in particular, a buddy heist movie starring Lupito Nyong’o and Rihanna, was originally pitched on twitter when someone saw a picture of the two together and said they looked the part. A few tweets from Nyong’o and Riri themselves later, as well as some from director Ava Duvernay and screenwriter Issa Rae, and Netflix picked up the film.

WHY IT’S BOLD:

Listen, movies get pitched all the time, but they don’t get pitched like this. I imagine they get pitched in dark backrooms full of smoke that smell of regret and dubious morality, but who’s to say really. I’m not against switching up the way things are done, I just fear the films to come if we let twitter get loose on this whole “look at a picture, make up a movie” thing. We need to acknowledge that if we let this slide, there could one day be a film called “50 Shades of My Bodypillow Matsuko”.

As a (self-identified) blogger, I love internet culture, but there’s an inherent danger in “yas” reactions to every half-baked idea thrown out on twitter. We vet movies for a reason, it’s so no one makes “Movie 43” ever again. By green-lighting this buddy heist based on a few tweets, Netflix has thrown off the whole established system of error correction that leads us to the cinema.

THE TAKEAWAY:

I’m running with the wave of change coming from this bold move, which is why I’ve strapped my screenplay to stray dogs all over Los Angeles. In addition I’ve created a twitter account solely for looking at random pictures of celebrities and trying to figure out what movie they could be.  Ellen’s crowd tweet from The Oscars will be my “Expendables” reboot, but that’s all I’ve got so far. As a huge fan of both of these actresses (yeah Rihanna has been in enough shit now we can call her an actress), and a lover of heist movies, I’m willing to wait this out. I just think it’s important to let everyone know the risks we’ve all incurred.