Music Monday’s: I Got Trombone-d this Weekend

We Really Out Here Now

Welcome back everybody, to the latest edition of Music Monday’s with yours truly, Tasty Spoon! This week is a little different, I saw a live show over the weekend and I loved it so much I just had to tell you wonderful people about it. Let’s get down on it!

This Week: Trombone Shorty

The name alone is enough to draw you in right? This past Saturday I had tickets to see this guy play a “concert on the green” type thing and off I went!

Trombone Shorty and his band, Orleans Avenue, with Shorty on                                     the far right

Per his Spotify “About” page

“Trombone Shorty is the best-known moniker for Troy Andrews. He was born into a well-known New Orleans musical family in 1986. His grandfather, Jessie Hill, was a locally popular R&B recording artist. His older brother, James “12” Andrews, was a successful jazz trumpeter who was also an early mentor. Andrews began playing music at a very early age and was playing professionally at the age of five. He mastered trombone, trumpet, and drums, eventually choosing the trombone as his principal instrument and thus picking up his nickname. So advanced was he that, at the age of eight, a club in the city’s Tremé district, where he was born and raised, was named Trombone Shorts in his honor… In 2003 he was one of five young musicians chosen as the subject for a PBS television documentary, and also performed on the network’s nationally broadcast tribute to Louis Armstrong, directed by Wynton Marsalis. Outside his hometown, Andrews has appeared with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, and has performed with U2 and Green Day. He has also traveled extensively overseas, playing concerts and festivals in Cuba and Europe; he has appeared at the Vienna Jazz Festival, the North Sea Jazz Festival, and the Istanbul Jazz Festival…In 2003 he was one of five young musicians chosen as the subject for a PBS television documentary, and also performed on the network’s nationally broadcast tribute to Louis Armstrong, directed by Wynton Marsalis. Outside his hometown, Andrews has appeared with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, and has performed with U2 and Green Day. He has also traveled extensively overseas, playing concerts and festivals in Cuba and Europe; he has appeared at the Vienna Jazz Festival, the North Sea Jazz Festival, and the Istanbul Jazz Festival.”

So yea, this kid is the real deal.

Check those features. Warren Haynes, Jeff Beck, Lenny Kravitz, Allen Toussaint, among others. This kid is a legend in the making, and I urge you to see him, you’ll get some amazing jams; some real tasty spoons. Like these!

What do I love to do on this column? Let the music speak for itself, so take a gander at those spicy jams and check him out on all platforms! Have a great week everybody!

@TastySpoon