This Day in History: June 12

Your Daily Dose of History Juice

Let’s dive in, I don’t have much time. June 12, let’s get it.

1. June 12, 1776–> Virginia Accepts George Mason’s Declaration of Rights

Early Representation of the Virginia Convention

241 years ago today, the document that would later become the building block for the Bill of Rights was unanimously accepted by the Virginia Convention in Williamsburg. Among the ideals put forward by Mason were the equal right to life, liberty, and property, and that“all power” would be “vested in, and consequently derived from” the people (albeit white people, but we don’t like to talk about that).

2. June 12, 1975–> Indira Gandhi Found Guilty of Election Fraud

Indira Gandhi, daughter of the Republic of India’s first Prime Minister, was first elected to office in 1955 as a member of the executive body of the Congress Party. In 1971 she won reelection to the office of Prime Minister, but this time did not have to rule with a deputy Prime Minister, and thus became the first and (so far) the only female Prime Minister of the Republic of India. On June 12 1975 Gandhi was convicted by the High Court in Allahabad for electoral infractions stemming from use of government resources for campaigning after her election to the lower house of India’s Parliament, which the Prime Minister must be a part of.

3. June 12, 1987–> Lil’ Ronny Reagan Doesn’t Like Walls

Today marks the 30 year anniversary of one of the most memorable Cold War speeches, delivered by the always infallible Ronald Reagan, our nations 40th president. Reagan appeared in West Berlin at the Brandenburg Gate to delivered an impassioned speech urging Soviet General Secretary Gorbachev to bring the wall down. This was a step forward in Soviet-US relations, and viewed by many as an attempt at negotiating nuclear arms reductions. Reagan gave the speech amid ongoing protests against his presence in Berlin, with movement and sections of the city being closed off to prevent further protesting.

4. June 12, 1994–>Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman Were Definitely NOT Killed By OJ Simpson

A true doozy to top it all off. 23 years ago today Nicole Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman were found outside of Nicole’s Brentwood, California home. OJ quickly became the lead suspect in one of the most-watched, most captivating and electrifying trials of the century. The well-known low speed Ford Bronco chase happened 5 days later as a result of this historical event, and it also led to the rise of the Kardashian family, so for that thank The Juice.

Thanks everybody, check back here later for a new installment of Music Monday’s!

@TastySpoon

One comment

  1. I抦 impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that抯 both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the issue is one thing that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for something regarding this.