I Took a Journey to The Mecca

This was my first trip to the arena strangely dubbed “The Mecca” in my short life. I would have to say that I was not surprisingly underwhelmed. I do have to admit that my experience in Madison Square Garden was not for a sporting event but for a Billy Joel concert. Yes, yes I know. Why the hell did I travel ALL the way to New York City to see Billy Joel? Long story short, it was for a girl… and I wanted to experience The Mecca firsthand.

The Good

There were a couple of good things I found during my time in The Mecca. I thought that the drink selection was large, ranging from beer gardens to an alcoholic slush machine. The alcohol vendors were stationed around every corner. There were plenty of beers to choose from like the classic Bud Light or the more sophisticated Miller Lite. I liked how they gave out tops to the beer cups to actually hold all the damn liquid in the cup instead of losing it all on the way back to your seat. I did enjoy the light show that went along with the concert. The choreographed lighting with the music was very good. Appropriate use of the spotlight and beams of lights for solos made the concert look better than it sounded. I guess you could chalk up another good point for being conveniently located right above Penn Station.

The Bad

I thought that The Mecca looked small. It must have been the set up. The seats are placed at less of an incline than other arenas. The seats themselves are also pretty small. I didn’t really want to be touching the weird old guy next to me who smelled. But compared to the Boston Garden, MSG has about 3,000 more seats. Sitting in the real fan seats in the Boston Garden almost seems like you will fall over if you lean too far forward. I did not like having to schlep up five escalators to get to the top section of seats. It felt awkward going up all those escalators without knowing where we were or where exactly we were going. And then the price of the beer and food was ridiculous. The beer was $12 minimum. Like come on.

The Ugly

I honestly did not know what Billy Joel looked like. So I was slightly shocked that he was that old and awkward looking. The fact that the entire section I was in were all middle-aged old people. They were sitting for the majority of the concert. Only a handful of actually young peoples like me were there and standing, to the dismay of the old peoples. Also, why the fuck did these damn New York people drink their beer with a straw!?! That pissed me off. Beer should not be consumed through a straw; the only thing that is acceptable would be a beer bong. This baffled me.

In conclusion, it cannot be concluded that Madison Square Garden should be named The Mecca.