In Danny We Trust…

Wanted a Top 10 Shake Up, Maybe Not THIS Badly

First of all, #staywoke like I told you, and this trade is a great of why you should continue to heed my warning, cuz something bigger is probably gonna happen.

Alright settle down everyone. A lot of feelings being thrown around, a lot of takes out there, but a lot is also being omitted. So let’s talk about this purported-yet-still-to-be-finalized, verbally agreed upon trade.

Trader Danny Strikes Again

So, here were are. The first time since the 1980 NBA Draft that the Boston Celtics have owned the number one pick and again, we trade down. It worked then, just gonna toss that out.

The thing about this trade that is a little hard to swallow is the fact that it pretty much every piece involved is uncertain. We won’t actually know if this was a good or a bad trade until the future, quite possibly the far future. We need to wait until Danny either makes his next big move with his increased assets or uses the picks AND we see what Fultz is capable of. Especially if we don’t get the Lakers pick and instead receive the Kings, this is even more true, unless of course Danny can move the pick before then. Maybe Fultz is a stud out the gate and if that’s the case than this trade might look bad initially, but once again we need to wait until whatever happens with these picks happens. If Danny decides that using the picks on worthy players is what is better for the team than we won’t actually have our results of this trade for a while.

I’m not pretending to know what Danny is thinking, but I have some thoughts of my own. In making this trade I think had to be at least PARTLY banking on his guy still being on the board at three.  Josh Jackson seems to have caught the eye of Ainge, albeit without a workout, but that’s not unique to the Celtics-many teams are impressed by the 6’8 swiss army knife, including the Lakers who have had him in for 2 workouts. If the Lakers end up taking Jackson at two does that make Ainge look worse? Granted he probably isn’t going to reveal what he wants/wanted on draft night, but if Jackson is in fact Ainge’s guy and Danny traded down so he could get more assets and still take his man that’s great in theory, but if the Lakers jump on Jackson at 2 than I think that makes the trade worse.

The official trade, for those who missed it:

also, fuck this.

Teams can now place protections on picks they received in trades that weren’t previously protected? I don’t like that, not one bit.

In other news…

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-paul-george-tells-pacers-plans-leave-franchise-prefers-joining-lakers-191520531.html

Now, this could make things better for Danny. If the Lakers are aware they have the best shot at PG13, than do they draft a wing this year? My gut tells me no, which is goof news for Danny because he finds himself in that ideal situation wherein he gets more assets AND the player he wanted.

Obviously, if things go Danny’s way than this trade looks great, and if Fultz pans out the way he is supposed to and/or the lakers take Jackson regardless of the looming Paul George destined for Purple and Gold than it looks kinda terrible, (which is kinda how trades work) at least until Danny finds a trade partner or uses the picks. Until then I don’t really think you can really grade this trade.

@TastySpoon

One comment

  1. There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don?t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well