This Day in History: June 19

June 19 is a Day For…

Folks let me apologize again, I really don’t know what came over me. I forgot about you wonderful people again, and for that I owe you yet another apology. In all the excitement and news over the weekend I forgot that some history occurred yesterday in addition to Saturday and today. Who would have thought? Well, anyway, here’s your history for today, June 19.

June 19, 1905–> First Nickelodeon Opens

On this day the year 1905, 450 people filed into a Pittsburgh storefront theater and experienced the first nickel theater. The name “nickelodeon” (classic channel) comes from both the price of a ticket, and the great word for “theater”. How badly do you wish these things were still around?

June 19, 1944–> USA Gets the W in Battle of Philippine Sea

Image result for battle of the philippine sea

The famed Marianas Turkey Shoot, the US wiped out the Japanese fleet 73 years ago today, June 19. In the greatest carrier battle of the war, US forces sunk 2 Japanese aircraft carriers and shot down over 300 planes while only losing 29 aircraft of their own. The Mariana Islands were extremely important to the Japanese,. who had bases on the islands of Tinian, Guam, and Saipan. This battle allowed the US to gain ground on the Mariana Islands and the Japanese stations there. After this victory, US troops were able to move swiftly onto Islands like the above mentioned. In what some historians describe as a pivotal moment in the fight in the pacific, this American victory was followed by the resignation of Premier Hideki Tojo. Thanks boys!

June 19, 1953–> Rosenbergs Executed

Image result for Rosenbergs

The first US residents to be tried, convicted, and executed for espionage during a time of peace, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, were executed today in 1953. The Rosenbergs, who were accused in 1951 of conspiring to pass U.S. atomic secrets to the USSR, did not admit to any treasonous behavior or espionage and professed their innocence up until their executions by way of the chair. The couple spent time at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, New York before their sentenced execution. The case became a hot issue at the time due to the polarity of the anti-communism and McCarthyism movements-the two became a symbol for the struggle against the rampant witch hunt for communists at the hands of Joe McCarthy.

@TastySpoon