Countdown to Draft Day with Tasty Spoon: #4

Slowly getting closer everyone, don’t worry. If there’s one thing that this wait and my previous experience playing golf have taught me, it’s that patience is not really a virtue I posses, so you can imagine how trying this past week or so has been. Regardless, this isn’t about me, it’s about the picks, so let’s get another one going shall we?

Drafting for overall talent or drafting for team need are two contrasting schools of thought when thinking about the surprisingly inexact science of the NBA draft, which leads us the the #4 pick.

No.
Player
Pos
Ht
Wt
Birth Date
Exp
College
2
Eric Bledsoe
PG
6-1
190
December 9, 1989
us
6
University of Kentucky
21
Alex Len
7-1
260
June 16, 1993
ua
3
University of Maryland
12
T.J. Warren
SF
6-8
230
September 5, 1993
us
2
North Carolina State University
1
Devin Booker
SG
6-6
206
October 30, 1996
us
1
University of Kentucky
4
Tyson Chandler
7-1
240
October 2, 1982
us
15
11
Brandon Knight
SG
6-3
189
December 2, 1991
us
5
University of Kentucky
15
Alan Williams
6-8
260
January 28, 1993
us
1
University of California, Santa Barbara
3
Jared Dudley
PF
6-7
225
July 10, 1985
us
9
Boston College
35
Dragan Bender
PF
7-1
225
November 17, 1997
ba
19
Leandro Barbosa
SG
6-3
194
November 28, 1982
br
13
0
Marquese Chriss
PF
6-10
233
July 2, 1997
us
University of Washington
8
Tyler Ulis
PG
5-10
150
January 5, 1996
us
University of Kentucky
10
Derrick Jones
SF
6-7
190
February 15, 1997
us
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
14
Ronnie Price
PG
6-2
190
June 21, 1983
us
11
Utah Valley State College
22
Elijah Millsap
SG
6-6
225
August 12, 1987
us
2
University of Alabama at Birmingham

So after perusing that roster, let’s dive in.

With the 4th Pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, the Phoenix Suns Select…

Not the best available at the four spot but the best at a position of need for the Suns who pick at #4, they need more depth at the wing spot.

And oh, here comes Jayson Tatum.

Tatum has great fundamentals and NBA length which he uses to his advantage. At 6’8″, a 6’11” wingspan and 205 pounds, Tatum passes the eye test. With per game averages that look like 16.8/7.3/2.1/1.3/1.1, and shooting splits of 50% from 2 and 34% from 3, Tatum would be the perfect fit for the Suns because of the extra depth and a jack-of-all-trades to come off the bench, and maybe in a few years he becomes a solid stater/possible All-Star. He’s a great iso scorer, maybe the best 1v1 player in the draft, because of his agility creativeness around the rim, footwork, and ability to finish near a crowded basket. He has good enough court vision and is a capable enough passer, a skill that should improve when he is surrounded by a young upstart team. The Suns ranked 2nd in the league in pace at 100.3 (possessions per 48 minutes), so they don’t necessarily NEED help in that department, but that is the way the NBA is moving (pun kinda intended) and a player who has great transition vision would help them even more in that area, which is never a bad thing.

As far as weaknesses go, Tatum could stand to gain a few pounds, something that isn’t unique to him, many of the other wings in the draft come in slightly below the ideal weight for an NBA wing. NBA wings with more bulk to them could pose a problem to his scoring ability, especially since they tighten up around the rim, where Tatum thrives. This problem is the most easily solvable. Despite his solid vision in transition his decision making can be questionable at times, knowing when to pull up and when to give up the ball etc. Speaking of pulling up, while his inside and midrange games are solid (45% FG, 50% on 2 pointers) his range can very easily be called into question, shooting 34% from three while putting up 4 of them per game. His efficiency from in close and midrange, plus the fact that his 2 point attempts double that of his attempts from three, brings his true shooting percentage to a cool 56%, but again, NBA defenses could bring that down, especially if he doesn’t fix his issue with consistency from deep. In terms of defense Tatum has the tools but can often times lack intensity, and can lapse too frequently for someone about to defend some of the worlds best players.

Thanks again for reading everybody, be sure to keep checking in leading up to the draft for more takes!

@TastySpoon