This Day in History: June 20

Folks it’s June 20 and you know what that means. Summer is right around the corner, the longest day of the year is tomorrow, and beach traffic is just terrible. While you might be thinking “Hey Spoon, it’s a nice day out and you’ve been working your ass off, go enjoy the weather” I urge you to stop that line of thinking immediately. I’m here for all of you, so without further adieu, let’s get rolling.

1. 1789–> Tennis Court Oaths

Image result for tennis court oaths

Chronological order, y’all know the drill. Versailles, France, June 20, 1789. Members of the Third Estate, which was comprised of lower clergy and common people, met on the indoor tennis court Jeu de Paume, spitting on King Louis XVI authority and vowing to stay in that spot until the government shaped up and created a new constitution. The same year Louis called the Estates-General for the first time since 1614. The Estate most heavily represented, the Third, made themselves into the National Assembly and forced a new constitution on the King. The King in return fired Jaques Necker, a popular minister of state in favor of reform, and ordered troops to Versailles. This in turn sparked a fire in the people of France, who would storm the Bastille on the 14th of July, marking the beginning of the French Revolution.

2. 1975–> Jaws Released

Image result for jaws

Legitimately scared to go into the ocean for a while after I saw this movie. Petrified. The ’75 classic was released on June 20, and has been striking fear into the hearts of swimmers ever since.

So a big thanks to the movie that brought us an easy top 10 movie quotes of all time. Speaking of which…

3. 1977–> Trans Alaskan Pipeline Starts Work

Image result for exxon valdez

After the oil crisis in 1973 Congress approved the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline, which would carry oil 800 miles through the largest state in the Union by area. Approved because Congress wanted to reduce dependence on foreign oil, the Department of the Interior authorized drilling in a field in Prudhoe Bay. The pipeline officially started transporting crude oil. As is expected, conservationists and environmentalists quickly voiced their opposition to the project and fear for the surrounding ecosystem, and for the first bit of time the pipeline was a success, boosting the Alaskan economy while not harming the surrounding environment, local animal populations were growing and the permafrost was intact. But, as we all know, that would change when the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound. RIP to all the wildlife that didn’t make it, you are in our hearts.

@TastySpoon