Meet the Winner of the World’s Ugliest Dog Competition

Before her turn at fame, Martha was like thousands of other neglected large-breed dogs, which face shorter life spans and dietary issues. And when Martha’s owner tried to sell her on Craigslist, Shirley Zindler, the founder of the Dogwood Animal Rescue Project, an animal fostering group, came to the mastiff’s aid.

Yet despite her hardships and imperfections, Martha was an endearing “gentle giant,” Mrs. Zindler said. At night, Martha snores so loudly that she isn’t allowed to sleep in Mrs. Zindler’s bedroom. When Martha is not asleep — as she is most of the day — she playfully bosses around the other dogs Mrs. Zindler fosters.

Then, last week, Mrs. Zindler called Ms. Burkard. The local fair was having a “World’s Ugliest Dog” contest, and although the two women found the dog gorgeous, they thought maybe Martha’s endearing imperfections could make her a winner. The contest, Mrs. Zindler said, promotes the adoption of dogs that often get left on the streets or in shelters.

For the competition on Friday, Martha slowly climbed onto the stage, plopped down and napped. She snored while the crowd cheered, and the judges named her the World’s Ugliest Dog.

-The New York Times

I’m glad that there are owners like Shirley Zindler out there nurturing ugly dogs like Martha, and giving them a home.  Ugly dogs lives matter too.

Though, I was a little disappointed with the evaluations of the ugliness of the dogs.  I’d like to see the organizers put these dogs through events similar to the Westminster Dog Show and really display how ugly these dog can be, because simply sitting them on a stage, and evaluating their appearance isn’t gonna cut it.  You need to factor in how the dog is on the inside as well as it is on the outside.  This is first grade stuff here, never judge a book by its cover.  Just because a dog is ugly on the outside, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s also ugly on the inside, as you can see with Martha who is apparently a “gentle giant”.  That’s not a truly ugly dog.

I want to see events like:

“The decorative pillow rip up”
“The most annoying bark”
“The quickest time between being let outside to wanting to come back inside”
“The loudest bark”
“The 100 meter butt scoot”
“The most items humped in 60 seconds”

Have those dogs compete in these events and we’ll be able to truly see who the most ugly dog is.  Let’s discuss specifics over dinner, Sonoma-Marin County Fair organizers.  You can contact me by visiting https://www.facebook.com/basementbanter/

I’m looking forward to your call.

I don’t own any of the videos or photos in this article.

2 comments