Bold Moves Weekly 6/25-7/2: Causing All of Your Own Problems

Welcome to Bold Moves Weekly, a segment where I go over what I view as the boldest move of the week. As always it’s important to note; these moves are bold as hell. They may not be good moves, they may not be intelligent, self-preservative moves, but they are certainly bold.

I’m not a fan of vandalism, I think it’s generally a little bit immature and a lot inconvenient. Even if you’re making an important statement, some poor bastard has to clean it up. I am, however, a huge fan of irony, so with that in mind, read on.

THE MOVE:

This morning, at 5:15 A.M. a man plowed into a monument of the ten commandments on the lawn of the Little Rock, Arkansas capitol building. He’s fine, but the monument was completely destroyed. Immediately many speculated there was a political motive for this crime, mostly due to arguments about whether or not state buildings should have religious monuments near them. For a quick summary of arguments from both sides, click here.

It makes sense to me why people would think this crime was political, there’s been a lengthy debate about these monuments. What those same people may not know is that this wasn’t part of some liberal leftist movement to remove religion from the public, it was just the same guy it always is. That’s right, the man in question, Michael Tate Reed Jr., is the same guy who plowed into a ten commandments monument in Oklahoma City in October 2015. He committed the same act of vandalism twice. Can’t be sure if he yelled “freedom” the first time though.

The “Braveheart” of destroying stone tablets

WHY IT’S BOLD:

The incident itself is not bold, in fact it’s incredibly sad. Reed has a litany of mental issues. He actually wrote an apology about the first vandalization, citing how Satan made him do it. He was on meds for his issues, but couldn’t afford to keep taking them. In a fit of psychosis, he destroyed the monument. What is bold is the manufactured outrage espoused by the people who think he is a liberal activist and not a deeply disturbed man. The same people who would fight against state sponsored mental healthcare and lobby to keep it out of health insurance talks are the ones who complain when a mentally disturbed person keeps destroying their monuments. Never mind the fact that those monuments probably shouldn’t be there in the first place. Causing your own problems and then complaining that it’s the fault of your enemies is incredibly bold.

THE TAKEAWAY:

Playing victim may help to garner sympathy from others, but when you’re victimizing yourself, it makes no sense. Instead of helping Reed get the treatment he needed, he was released back into the world. When he could no longer afford his meds, he committed the exact same crime in a different state this morning. Mental health in America already has a bad reputation, and our only solution so far seems to be producing shitty TV shows about teenage suicide. Without comprehensive mental care reform in this country we’re going to keep running into this problem, and Reed is going to keep running into monuments.

If you think I should be smote, or have something Satan is trying to make you do, comment below.