TDIH: July 1

Crunch Time

Folks, been waiting for a day like this. Licking my chops, really. We’ve got a lot of fun stuff on the docket today, so to quote a close personal friend of mine,  “I won’t waste any of your time, and I wouldn’t dare waste any of mine”, let’s get after it.

July 1, 1863–> Battle of Gettysburg Begins

Image result for battle of gettysburg

Today, this day, this one right here, marks the start of the bloodiest battle in American history. Union and Confederate Forces crossed paths and the Battle of Gettysburg officially began. In the battle that lasted three full days, the number of lives lost on both sides is estimated at anywhere between 46,000 and 51,000. Forces collided early July 1 morning, and by noon the battle was raging, as troops from the surrounding area rushed in upon hearing the sounds of battle. RIP to Union General John Reynolds, who was killed during the first few hours of battle. By nightfall, Union troops (Army of the Potomac) had set up on the high ground and made a three-mile long, hook-shaped line stretching from Culp’s Hill on the right flank, along Cemetery Hill and Cemetery Ridge, to the base of Little Round Top. We thank all the man who served for their sacrifices.

July 1, 1916–> Battle of the Somme

Image result for battle of the somme

At 7:30 AM on this day 101 years ago, British forces launched their offensive against Germany around the Somme River of France, beginning the Battle of the Somme. At day’s end, 20,000 British soldiers were killed and double that number were injured, marking the heaviest casualties in a single day in British military history. The battle lasted for four months, and the Allies only advanced 5 miles during that time period. With the exception of taking German troops away from Verdun, the offensive was not successful, wth 600,000 British and French forces being killed or wounded or MIA, and 650,000 for the Germans, making it one of the bloodiest in human history. We thank the Allies for their service.

July 1, 1997–> Hong Kong Returned to China

Image result for Hong Kong

Since 1839 the UK had occupied the city of Hong Kong for economic reasons, until this day in 1997. At a ceremony held at midnight on July 1, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles of Wales, US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and Chinese President Jiang Zemin, along with many many citizens, celebrated Hong Kong’s departure from British rule. Hong Kong would continue to operate as a pinnacle for capitalist system in the area, operating under the policy “one country, two systems.”

July 1, 2003–> Did Kobe Do it?!

Image result for Kobe Bryant court

Look, Kobe Bryant is one of the best basketball players in this or any generation, and I give credit where credit is do, amazing career. But let’s not only think of the good times with this guy. Let’s look at both sides. On July 1, 2003 a female employee at a Colorado based resort went to the police to file charges of sexual misconduct against the basketball phenom. Kobe checked into the resort near Vail on June 30 and was scheduled to get knee surgery the next day. He met this young lady (he was 24 she was 19, not that weird) lady, and they hit it off, and Kobe brought her back to his room. She tried to leave, and she claimed that when she did Kobe did not like that and that’s when the misconduct occurred. She went to the Police the next day (July 1) and they questioned Bryant and he gave them a DNA sample. A couple weeks later, Kobe admitted that he did indeed have sex with that woman, but that it was consensual. The ensuing media frenzy took a toll on both Bryant and the accuser, who’s name got out, and the case was eventually dropped, and they settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. Just wanted to once again remind everyone that number 8 Kobe existed.

@TastySpoon

One comment