TDIH: July 5

July 5, 1775–> Olive Branch Petition

“Your Majesty’s Ministers, persevering in their measures, and proceeding to open hostilities for enforcing them, have compelled us to arm in our own defence, and have engaged us in a controversy so peculiarly abhorrent to the affections of your still faithful Colonists, that when we consider whom we must oppose in this contest, and if it continues, what may be the consequences, our own particular misfortunes are accounted by us only as parts of our distress.”

John Dickinson, The Olive Branch Petition

History.com

One year before the Declaration of Independence was signed, the Continental Congress adopted the Olive Branch petition. Written by John Dickinson, the petition was aimed directly at King George III on the topic of reconciliation with the British throne. Dickinson wanted to avoid a break with the throne, and the petition was written as a calm statement to the King expressing discontent with his ministers in the colonies. Coming off a day of remembering revolt and the freedom to be vocally opposed to who is oin power, this seems like an appropriate happening. ‘Tis the season!

July 5, 1865–> Salvation Army Founded

Image result for salvation army

What a July 5!! In the East End of London all those years ago the “Christian Mission” as it was originally known, launched campaigns and waged wars against poverty with “military efficiency”. The most well intention-ed and helpful armies to exist, the organization has grown from Britain, to the US in 1978, to the world, now having locations in 75 countries. Soup kitchens, lodging, emergency and disaster services, drug rehab programs, and of course the secondhand stores we all know and love would soon be the services offered by the international charity. WE thank you for all you’ve done Salvation Army!!

July 5, 1921–> White Black Sox Accused of Throwing World SeriesImage result for Black sox

What a story. On this day in 1921 the Chicago White Sox were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series after years of mistreatment and underpaying from their owner, Charles Comiskey. After a trial that was mainly for show, the players reached a deal with owners to not disparage MLB in exchange for an acquittal, although the signed confessions were lost until a trial in which “Shoeless” Joe Jackson sued the owner Comiskey for an unpaid salary. The other owners, hoping to save face and assure the public that the games were still legit and wholesome, hired a hard-liner lawyer as the new commissioner and he not only banned those Sox players for like, but also kept Blacks out of the sport until the ’40s.

Follow @TastySpoon for a grand ol’ twitter time!