TDIH: July 6

July 6, 1935–> 14th Dalai Lama Born

Tenzin Gyatso, was born on this day in 1935. At the age of two he was declared the Dalai Lama, the 14th in a long line of various reincarnations of the buddhist spiritual leader. He ruled from Tibet until 1959 when, after a movement against the Peoples Republic of China’s rule in the country, the Dalai Lama was forced to relocate to Punjab, India due to pressure from the Chinese government. And we have to celebrate the man who gives total consciousness to that man above. For that and I guess other things, we thank you!

July 6, 1957–> Paul Meets John

Image result for Paul and John

The greatest songwriting duo to ever grace the world with their presence were first introduced on this day 60 years ago, and the rest, as I’ve heard from some people, is history. John Lennon was scheduled to perform at a church parade/outdoor fair with his band, the Quarrymen, in Woolton, Liverpool. Young Paul McCartney was in the crowd, and was particularly enthralled with Lennon’s ability to hold a crowd, keep them around and entertained. A mutual friend introduced them, and while at first they didn’t give the young buck much thought, Paul whipped out his trusty steed and was playing things from Eddie Cochran to Little Richard, impressing Lennon along the way. While Paul was far and away the better musician, they each found in the other the same passion they had for the craft, and worked so well together from the start, Paul being the mind and Lennon being the heart/soul. Before you knew it Paul was asked to join the Quarrymen, and the world wept out of appreciation of the beauty these two would create.

July 6, 1976–> Women Finally Inducted into the US Naval Academy

Image result for us naval academy logo

All of those years ago today the United States Naval Academy admitted 81 women to their next class, marking the first time females were allowed into the apparently prestigious academy. Four years later, Elizabeth Anne Rowe was the first female member of the class to graduate. Four years later, Kristine Holderied became the first female midshipman to graduate at the top of her class. Shouts to the powerful women out there, we couldn’t do it without you!!