Dear Adam Silver: Bring Back the Sonics

This Deserves it’s Own Write Up

Folks today was a big day in the history of the NBA. Now I almost included this in today’s This Day in History, but I decided to really give it the credit it deserves because this was monumental. July 18, 2006 marked the day that the sale of the Seattle SuperSonics went through. The Basketball Club of Seattle, headed by the CEO of Starbucks, Howard Schultz, sold the Seattle Sonics and their sister franchise, the Seattle Storm, to the Professional Basketball Club, LLC, which was headed by Clay Bennet. Just a sad dark day not just for people in Seattle, but fans of basketball, much like myself. The sale came after much deliberation of a new stadium for the franchise, and when they couldn’t find funding Mr. Bennet decided to move the team to the bustling metropolis and enormous TV market of Oklahoma City. This move was apparently Bennet’s intention the whole time, even though moving the team would result in a breach of the lease agreement with KeyArena, the team’s home gym.

In the interest of arguing that the city of Seattle is a basketball town and thus should have a men’s professional team, here is a list of pro ballers from the Seattle area:

  • Gary Payton II
  • Shawn Kemp Jr.
  • Spencer Hawes
  • Aaron Brooks
  • Rodney Stuckey
  • Dejounte Murray
  • Doug Christie
  • Nate Robinson
  • Avery Bradley (Tacoma)
  • Jason Terry
  • Jamaal Crawford
  • Brandon Roy
  • Isaiah Thomas

Now for a mid market city like Seattle, that’s not a bad list. Doug Christie was one of the all-time great “fill a need” players and one of the early incarnations of 3 and D, being named to 4 All-Defensive teams in his career and shot 35% from behind the arc and was part of the “greatest show on court” Sacramento Kings squad.

Jamaal Crawford is the sixth man that every team wants and needs, maybe the lifetime winner of the Sixth Man of the Year Award and can get you a bucket whenever you need it, even at 37.

Jason Terry had one of the longest primes in pro basketball, from 2000 to 2012 he averaged less than 15 points once and never averaged less than three assists, and is still in the league at age 39. A career 38% shooter from beyond the arc and a player with active hands-he averaged less than a steal only 5 times in his 18 NBA seasons, while also having 101 win shares in that time span. Oh, and he’s made the third most 3 point field goals in NBA history.

Nate Robinson, aside from getting a dunk contest win, was a career 36% shooter from deep, had a 53% true shooting percentage, and became one of the more exciting players to watch in his NBA career.

Avery Bradley is arguably the best perimeter defender in the NBA today, and has been steadily improving over the course of his seven NBA season, jumping from 1.7 ppg in his first season, to 14.9 in his fourth. A career 36% shooter from deep and has recorded 446 steals over that time period. Guards from around the league have repeatedly said that Avery is a person they fear going up against.

Brandon Roy was really the most recent and possible best example of an amazing player who’s career was cut short way to early because of injuries. The 2006/07 Rookie of the Year and a career 35% shooter who averaged 18.8 points (6136 total points) over 326 games with a 25.2% usage rate and 28.6 career offensive win shares, Roy was one of the more high volume scorers of his time.

Which brings us to Isaiah Thomas. The 5’9″ phenom who took the NBA by storm this past season, Isaiah put up one of the better offensive seasons in 2016/17: 28.9 ppg, 46.3 FG%, 37.9 3pt%, 54.6 efg%, 62.5 TS% all on a 34% usage rate and limiting his turnovers to 2.8, and posting 12.8 win shares. Numbers don’t lie.

All this is saying is that the city of Seattle has long had a great basketball scene, and Adam Silver needs to man up and give this city a men’s pro team once again. The move in the first place made little sense from a business/marketing standpoint, it was all just the work of one businessman so hungry to see a basketball team in his hometown that he was willing to uproot one from another city and subsequently upset that city. I’m not even from Seattle and I have long been one of the most ardent supporters of the Sonics being back in Seattle, and I’m not the only one who believes that. I would have loved a Seattle Sonics title run with KD, Russ, and Harden. And who knows, Seattle is a better TV market, maybe they have a higher cap than Oklahoma City and they are able to keep all of them for a couple more years? I’m not saying that would definitely happen, I don’t claim to be a cap expert, all I know is it would have been great to see those three in green and gold.

Look if you want more details I’ll leave some fun stuff below, I’m not here to tell the entire story I’m simply here to present another argument that the city of Seattle needs a basketball team once again. The subject is actually really interesting to read about, a lot of moving variables. Seattle is known as having one of the best fanbases in sports (See: Seattle Seahawks), and it is downright foolish that one of their major four sports teams was moved to Oklahoma of all places. Fuck you Clay Bennet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_SuperSonics_relocation_to_Oklahoma_City

https://www.sonicsrising.com/

Even if you’re not a Sonics fan this is a really interesting doc about city’s relationship with their sports franchises, including stadium funding, revenues, etc. Give it a watch if you have the time, award winning doc right there.