Are The Beatles a Boy Band?

Now I know what you must be thinking, “Of course not! They are one of the greatest and best bands of all time!” And you would be right in your assessment of them. The Beatles were beyond great. They are the most successful, and important bands of the 20th century. They had a record 20 number 1 hits on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, a record (Elvis in second with 18), of the five albums from the 60s to sell more than 10 million copies, the Beatles had 3, they are the only band with 5 albums on the Billboard Top 200. I could go on and on with more and more accolades and achievements. So, how could a band that successful actually be a boy band?

Now boy bands are often considered to be untalented, unsophisticated, pretty boys whose music is simple, catchy and very low brow. Some of the most famous boy bands are The Backstreet Boys, N Sync, One Direction and the Jonas Brothers. Some of their music gets a lot of praise, while most of it is criticized as being generic, basic and too simple. Now I personally love boy bands, but it is still kind of hard to look at the Beatles, one of my favorite bands, and call them a boy band. But to find out, we have to look at the facts.

The Facts:

According to google a boy band is “a pop group composed of attractive young men whose music and image are designed to appeal primarily to a young teenage audience.” So, does this definition fit The Beatles? Well, yeah kind of. While not strictly a pop band, their music was most definitely poppy for its day. Were they all attractive and did they appeal to a young audience? Well you know that scene in Austin Powers where he is running away from a mob of fan girls? Thats literally The Beatles.

If you watch closely, they are all young fans, and most of them are girls. So clearly they were attractive and had a young following. The Beatles are why we get things like this now from modern boy bands (56 seconds in):

The Beatles clearly set standards for what boy bands do, so doesn’t that make them a boy band? Maybe the first boy band?

Conclusion:

I have to say that they are a boy band, but they were the Founding Father boy band so they were different than the staple that was forged in their legacy. While not 100% fitting into the mold, they shaped the mold. What do you think? Do you agree, or did I just shit all over one of the greatest bands to ever live?

7 comments

    1. The Beatles were *never* a stupid,uncool,untalented boy band and the trend started with the true first manufactored boy band,The Monkees who were actors hired to play the part of a genuine rock n roll band like The Beatles for their TV show.

  1. I’m really not intending to spam, but I have a lot of strong great information that debunks this stupid,ludicrous nonsense calling The Beatles a boy band and I would like to be able to post it here.