TDIH: July 24

July 24, 1911–> Machu Picchu Found

Today 106 years ago, American archaeologist Hiram Bingham finds the ancient Incan city of Machu Picchu. Traveling on foot and donkey, Bingham and his squad traveled from Cuzco into the Urubamba Valley, where a farmer informed them of ruins located at the top of a nearby mountain, just northwest of Cuzco. The farmer said the mountain was called Machu Picchu, which meant “Old Peak” in the Quechua language native to the area. The next day–July 24 (that’s today!!!)–after a long climb to the mountain’s ridge, Bingham met a group of peasants who guided him the rest of the way. Led by an 11-year-old boy, Bingham caught a glimpse of one of the worlds previously “lost” cities.

July 24, 1969–> Apollo 11 Successfully Returns

Image result for Apollo 11 in the water

Remember that time when JFK called his shot and got it right? Well, I certainly do. On this July 24 48 years ago, the Apollo 11, the spacecraft that had taken Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon, safely landed back on Earth. At 5:35 PM, Aldrin and Armstrong, who were manning the lunar module, rejoined Collins in the command module, and the three began their trip home. They landed in the Pacific Ocean at 12:51 p.m. on July 24. #fullcircle.

July 24, 2005–> Lance Wins 7th Tour de France

Image result for lance armstrong

Today in 2005, notable biker Neil Louis Lance Armstrong wins his record seventh Tour de France, one of if not the most famous bike race in the world. After capturing his seventh consecutive title, Lance quickly retired from the sport, the definition of going out on top (except for that thing about losing a ball and then all his mdeals like 10 years later). Lance was diagnosed with stage 3 testicular cancer, which had spread to his lungs and brain at that point, and tooksome time off from racing. After coming back and winning the Tour in ’99, Lance wouldn’t lose it until 2006, a remarkable feat even for someon taking performance enhancing drugs. But, come on now, we all accept these drugs in athletes when we can watch a couple of them try to beat a home run record, but when someone is winning seven 3,500 kilometer (2,200 mi) bike races suddenly we have to strip him of everything he won? Yea, seems fair.