TIH: August 28th

Alright folks, my apologies. It’s been a crazy week, so crazy that you could have told me it was actually 2 or 3 weeks and I would have believed you. But alas, it was one, and now that some of the craziness of it has passed and I somehow appear ready go let’s get down to brass tax. August 28th let’s get it.

August 28th, 1955–> RIP Emmett Till

Emmett Till.jpg

This poor kid. Emmett Till, back in those days, Emmett was a 14 year old African American from Chicago. He was visiting family in Money, Mississippi, when he was accused of going too far while flirting with a white woman working the counter of a country store. Roy Bryant, the husband of the cashier who also owned the country store, and the brother of the woman working the counter, reacted in a very reasonable and acceptable way, by brutally murdering the 14 year old who allegedly made advances at the woman. Sounds about right. The two brothers forced Emmett to carry a 75-pound cotton-gin fan to the bank of the Tallahatchie River and made him remove all clothing. They then beat him to within an inch of death, shot him in the head, gouged out his eye, and then threw his body, tied to the cotton-gin fan with barbed wire, into the river. But wait, Mississippi is a great place with some phenomenal history, I’m sure.

August 28th, 1963–> Guy Has a Dream and Thinks He’s Hot Stuff…

Image result for martin luther king i have a dream speech

This guy. On this August the 28th, Martin Luther King Jr sauntered up the steps of the Lincoln memorial in Washington DC and delivered what is probably the best speech this country has ever heard. To a crowd of about a quarter million, King was the last speaker of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, one of the largest peaceful, political rally’s that the US has ever seen. King sent chills down the spine of every person looking at him with the image of Abraham Lincoln looming large behind him, and it was work like this and much more that would help pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. “When we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ‘Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!’”. Thanks for everything, Dr. King :).

August 28th, 1968–> More Like Democratic National Con-Tension Amirite?

Image result for 1968 DNC

You all saw what I did there. Your welcome. All those days ago police and civilians clashed at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, IL. The protesters were Vietnam War opponents; the democratic party was at that time very split on what to do about communism/Vietnam/the USSR. Fights broke out on the floor of the DNC, with reporters, delegates, and congressmen beaten, dragged, and beaten some more. The delegates decided to stay the course when it came to the war; they voted to continue with Hubert Humphrey’s usual way of things. Outside the convention halls, several thousand anti-war protesters showed their distaste for the war. There were 12,000 Chicago police officers called in, and 15,000 from neighboring states. “The Battle of Michigan Avenue”, as it was known, was widely televised. Some point to this tension and disagreement as a reason for a Democrat loss in the election that year. Shouts out to tricky Dick. Thanks guys. Have a great week :).

PS you might want something to do later, if so check back later for Music Mondays!!