TIH: September 1st

September 1st, 1775–> King George III Says No

Related image

Oh George. Way way back during american revolutionary times representatives Arthur Lee and Richard Penn from the Continental Congress presented a petition to the Earl of Dartmouth concerning the colonies desire to resolve differences between the English throne and these colonies that would soon become independent. The petition was written by John Dickinson, one of the most fervent supporters of keeping a solid relationship with the British; the document was very polite, voicing grievances of the carrying out of ministerial duties, and not the throne.  “Your Majesty’s Ministers, persevering in their measures, and proceeding to open hostilities for enforcing them, have compelled us to arm in our own defence…” Shout out to taking action!

September 1st, 1807–> Aaron Burr Acquitted

Image result for Aaron Burr
(Wikimedia Commons)

Okay maybe the cat is out of the bag no, you’ve probably found me out. I kind of a have a weird obsession with Aaron Burr. Third VP the US has ever had, then he goes and he murders his political enemy who also happened to be the former Secretary of the Treasury? AND that happened during his tenure as VP?! That alone is enough intrigue. But then you add in the juicy fact that he tried to create his own country and was tried for treason because of it? This guy is just unstoppable. On this day Burr was acquitted on treason charges in his trial over his attempt at annexing some of the Spanish and Louisiana territories in Mexico to create his own republic. He was acquitted because although he had conspired against the government, he had not engaged in an “overt act,” which is the big ticket for treason cases. Burr would, however, lose a lot of public support, and he fled to Europe. He would come back in 1812 and practice law in New York City, while flying super under the radar. See what I mean? I can’t stop with this stuff…

September 1st, 1939–> Poland Invaded

Image result for invasion of poland ww2
(Wikimedia Commons)

Those bastards. At 4:45 AM on this day in 1939, 1.5 million German troops march right past Poland’s 1,750-mile border with Germany while at the same time bombing Polish airfields AND taking it to Poland’s naval forces with the infamous U-Boats. Adolf Shitler claimed the attack was a preemptive defensive measure, but other European countries were not sold on that awful excuse. What was really behind the attack was gaining more living space for German born peoples; something that Shitler called Lebensraum, or “living space”. The guy who would forever ruin Charlie Chaplin style mustaches began this plan with the annexation of Austria in 1938. He had control over the Sudentland and Czechoslovakia in 1939, and then moved his attention toward his neighbors who just wanted to chill and own pig farms. Hey Shitler, Fuck you.

September 1st, 1985–> Titanic Found

Image result for Titanic
Wikipedia

Although I missed the last Tuesday Top 5 (Because I’m shitty), the resting place of the Titanic would have possibly been my #1. Something about it just creeps me the hell out. Down in the depths with a piece of history that has been slowly rotting there since 1912. I know not everyone feels the same, but seriously something about the wreck just sends me chills. But that’s not to say it doesn’t interest me. It’s like watching an open heart surgery on youtube, yea it’s creepy and possibly terrifying, but god damn if I”m not hooked. Anyway you all know the story, April 15 1912 the Titanic hit an iceberg o its maiden voyage and went down. On September 1st 1985 retired US Navy officer and oceanographer Robert D. Ballard found the Titanic. Ballard was contracted by the Navy to investigate two sunken Nuclear submarines, and while following the trail of debris from those submarines implosion due to the pressure, they stumbled upon the Titanic’s debris trail. While they didn’t research beyond taking pictures of the exterior at the time, Ballard and a team of researchers went back about a year later for more extensive research.

September 1st, 1998–> Airbags Mandated By Law

Image result for Airbags
Wikimedia Commons

On this day the US government decided that driver safety was a thing they needed to ensure after all. Fun fact the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act, the piece of legislature mandating airbags, was written and signed in 1991. Why did it take so long for Congress to sign a law making driving safer you ask? Because America. You would actually be surprised (maybe not) at how terribly inefficient the US government has been in tackling driver safety. John Hetrick, an industiral engineer from Pennsylvania, patented a design for a “safety cushion assembly for automotive vehicles” in 1953. The next year he sent sketches of his device to Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler, but none of them wanted it. Somehow airbag/safety-cushion technology in automobiles stalled until 1965, when Ralph Nader’s book “Unsafe at Any Speed” argued that seat belts and air bags would prevent thousands of deaths in car accidents. A revolutionary idea, I know. In ‘66, Congress passed the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Act, which mandated that automakers put seat belts(not air bags), in every car. Unfortunately, the law did not mandate individual people to use seat belts, and only about 25 percent did. @New Hampshire.