Celebrate Labor Day with a McDonalds UK Workers Strike!

In a Shocking Turn of Events…

LONDON (Reuters) – Workers at two McDonalds restaurants staged the first strike to hit the company in Britain in a protest over pay and other issues on Monday.

Fourteen workers at restaurants in Cambridge and Crayford, in London, went on strike to demand an increase in pay to 10 pounds ($13) an hour, an end to so-called zero-hour contracts which offer no fixed hours, and more trade union recognition.

A spokesman for McDonalds, which has operated in Britain since 1974, said the strikers represented less than half of the 33 union members who were balloted and the stated reason for the strike related to internal grievance procedures and not pay or contracts.

He said the company and its franchisees were offering staff the option of a guaranteed hour contract but so far 86 percent of its employees had chosen to stay on flexible contracts.

A union representing the workers said it also wanted trained shop stewards to monitor stores across Britain. Two managers in the Cambridge branch of the restaurant were suspended this year for bullying and harassment, the union said.

Monday’s action coincides with strikes in the United States and Belgium.

Small demonstrations in support of the striking McDonalds workers were taking place in 14 locations in Britain.

Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain’s main opposition Labour Party, said he supported “the brave McDonalds workers, who are making history today. They are standing up for workers’ rights by leading the first ever strike at McDonalds in the UK.”

Life is Full of Surprises.

I mean seriously, who would have thought that some of the most alienated workers will strike for what they deserve? The nerve of some people- probably those damn millennials again. Now they are ruining hard work. What’s next? You need your kale chopped a certain way, fine, that’s no skin of my ass but I’m not gonna let you sit on a sidewalk and shout about how you need a “livable wage” when the simple solution is just to get back to work.

I miss the golden years of exploitation.

My biggest surprise is that only 14 of the workers there actually went on strike. I’m a huge collective action guy, but my gut tells me that it only works if you have everyone, or at least a majority, on board with what you’re doing and how you’re doing it.

Just drawing some conclusions here not saying this is true or untrue, but the Brexit was fairly recent if my international sources are correct. Coincidence? Well my friends, that’s exactly what McDonalds wants you to think. If you believe that this was a coincidence and not some grand scheme birthed by Ray Kroc all those years ago than you’re a fool and I hope that blue pill went down smooth. Think about it.

You might think I’m joking, and I kinda was at first, but check this out. For those of you too lazy to read it says that “The fast-food giant has chosen the UK to establish a new holding company to collect hundreds of millions of pounds a year in royalties from its international franchise operations”. The move from Luxembourg to the UK came in December, and the Brexit happened the previous June.

From that article:

“McDonalds is the latest multinational company to up its invest in the UK since June’s Brexit vote, following a string of technology giants including Apple, Google and Facebook.”

“The UK already has one of the lowest corporate tax rates among major economies at 20pc, compared with 35pc in the US, 33pc in France and a combined burden on profits in German of between 30pc and 33pc.”

Now I really don’t want to be the crazy conspiracy guy (the moon landings happened and Bush did 9/11) but all of this means something, and not just a giant bird flipped in the direction of the EU from McD’s. I’ll let this all marinate with you, but stay on your toes.

In all seriousness, kudos to those brave McDonald’s employees out there, and to all of you just remember: While you’re out on the front lines fighting for what’s yours, most Americans will be at home observing a federal holiday that says “you deserve a day off”. That sounds dickish but actually, these people have some mental fortitude right there and if we didn’t have people like them, then women wouldn’t be working or voting, unions or workers rights wouldn’t exist, and we might never have known about the wonders of the 40 hour work week. For that and the countless other things that they gave us, I’d like to thank all of the rabble rousers out there.