Music Monday’s: Sammus

So I was at a show this past Friday and some some truly awesome stuff. I hadn’t been to a rap show in at least a year, so I was chomping at the bit. One of which I was expecting, the other I was not. SO, we will start with the artist that I was extremely surprised at and thrilled with.

This is Sammus. Also known as Enongo Lumumba-Kasongo, she is a rapper, former teacher, and holder of a MA in Science and Technology Studies from Cornell, where she also got her Bachelor’s degree. She is a PhD student at Cornell, and got her name from the Metroid main character (Samus), as both figures are strong, badass women in male dominated arena’s.

She has worked with Homeboy Sandman, Open Mike Eagle, and toured with Milo. Her brother, Disashi, is a member of Gym Class Hero’s.

Her energy on stage was pretty incredible, and I love how different her act is. She basically cosplays on stage, and the crowd was eating it up.

You all know the deal, the music is here and it speaks for itself, so enjoy, get more if you want, and make sure to follow Sammus on social media!! Have a great week everyone!