Early Rock and Roll Legend Fats Domino has Died.

From New York Times:

Fats Domino, the New Orleans rhythm-and-blues singer whose two-fisted boogie-woogie piano and nonchalant vocals, heard on dozens of hits, made him one of the biggest stars of the early rock ’n’ roll era, has died in Louisiana. He was 89.

His death was confirmed by his brother-in-law and former road manager Reggie Hall, who said he had no other details. Mr. Domino lived in Harvey, La., across the Mississippi River from New Orleans.

“A lot of people seem to think I started this business,” Presley told Jet magazine in 1957. “But rock ’n’ roll was here a long time before I came along. Nobody can sing that music like colored people. Let’s face it: I can’t sing it like Fats Domino can. I know that.”

Today We Say Goodbye to a True Pioneer

Heavy hearts indeed my friends. I guess it’s true what they say-no one lives forever except Kirk Douglas. Legends are always lost, but that doesn’t make it any more fun to experience these types of deaths.

This fat man rocked, that’s for sure. Dying of natural causes today at age 89, Fats Domino was responsible for such hits as “Ain’t It a Shame”, “Blueberry Hill”, his cover of Hank Williams’ “Jambalaya (On the Bayou)”, “Walking to New Orleans”, and countless others, he was the king of New Orleans R&B and would help define the sound of Rock and Roll.

Fats tore through the 50s and early 60s, when he sold 65 million records, and wrote more than three dozen billboard hits. It is said that Paul McCartney wrote “Lady Madonna” with Domino in mind. And Domino’s rhythm, which emphasizes the offbeat, was a very early influence on reggae and ska music.

At 5’5″ and jokingly “as wide as he was tall”, Fats’ voice shown through on the stage and in the studio, and helped to create the sound of a entire genre and many others. He has been covered by The Beatles, Elton John, Willie Nelson, and many more; and when, after one of his own performances, someone referred to Elvis Presley as the King of Rock and Roll, and Elvis pointed out Fats, there to watch Elvis, as the true King.

So for his incredible sound and countless contributions to Rock and Roll, and music itself, we here at basementbanter would like to take a few moments to honor the man and his legacy. Thanks, Fats!